Kugelhopf Orange Honey Cake
The orange gives this classic honey cake a sophisticated twist, taking honey cake to a whole new level. Cooking and preparation time is 1 hour 20 minutes. Serves 12. Ingredients:
- 1 whole seedless orange, cut in chunks (do not peel)
- 6 eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups Orange Blossom Honey
- 3 cups flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 3/4 cup strong coffee (or 1 and 1/2 tablespoonsinstant coffee dissolved in 3/4 cup boiling water)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a kugelhopf pan (turban-shaped tube pan) very well.
- Place orange in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Pulse with quick on/offs until finely minced. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggs with sugar until light, about three to four minutes. Add remaining ingredients except for orange and mix until combined. Add orange to batter and mix until combined.
- Pour batter into greased kugelhopf pan, leaving about three inches for cake to expand during baking.
- Bake for one hour and five minutes. (When you insert a cake tester, it will come out without any batter clinging to it.) If there is any remaining batter, place it in a small baking pan and bake for 50 minutes.