Honey Apple Pie
If you’re a fan of apple pie, I promise you, you’ll love this caramelized honey version too. I love the crispness of the apples, the caramelized honey, and warm spices that make this dessert so perfect for fall. This recipe serves 6-8 with a preparation time of 1 hour 20 minutes. Ingredients:
- 2 – 3 pie crusts about 9 inches in diameter
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 5 medium honey crisp apples, peeled and sliced about ⅓ – ½ inch thick
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 large egg, cracked and beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Coarse sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Place a pie crust dough into a 9 inch pie dish and crimp or flute the edges to your liking. Refrigerate the pie crust in the dish while preparing the apple filling.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all purpose flour, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and ground ginger until combined. Add apples sliced into ⅓ – ½ inch thick into the bowl. Mix until all the apples are coated with the flour mixture.
- Pour the apple filling into the pie dish and arrange the apples in an even layer so that they will bake evenly. Drizzle honey all over the top of the filling and let the honey fall into the crevices. Refrigerate while preparing the pie lattice.
- To create the pie lattice, cut the pie crust into one inch strips. Weave the strips over and under to create the lattice pattern.
- Mix together the beaten egg and a tablespoon of milk. Brush the egg wash over the lattice crust. This will help give the crust that golden brown look. Sprinkle coarse sugar over the crust.
- Place the pie dish on a baking sheet so that if the pie filling bubbles over, it’ll fall onto the baking sheet instead of in the oven. Bake the pie at 400F for about 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 350F, and bake for an additional 45-50 minutes. The honey will bubble and caramelized, the apples will have softened.
- Let the pie sit and cool for about 3 hours so that the filling will thicken before slicing into it. If you slice the pie before it completely cools, the pie will fall apart.
- Serve the honey apple pie warm or cold.